About Dorothy McCormack
Recognised as one of Australia’s leading music educators, Dorothy McCormack is a distinguished pianist and music teacher. Dorothy is available for Gold Coast music classes for children and adults. For more information on classes, call Dorothy on 0419 667 855.
Dorothy has studied Singing, Organ, Cello and Composition. Her outstanding career has embraced numerous musical disciplines including Performance, Musicology, Research and Education. Dorothy commenced her professional career as a secondary school Music and English teacher in Sydney and keeps pace with current international research and developments in music by regularly attending and contributing to Australian and international conferences.
Throughout her professional career, Dorothy has performed extensively as an accompanist, repetiteur and vocal coach for esteemed international and local opera singers. She has appeared in such venues as the Sydney Opera House, Sydney Entertainment Centre, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and commercial television. View Dorothy’s gallery here.
Dorothy has worked regularly as an adjudicator and music examiner, nationally and internationally for the Australian Examinations Board – ANZCA. Additionally, she often presents master classes and seminars for both teachers and students.
Dorothy has published music books for use in schools across Australia and has contributed to international research journals.
Before moving to the Gold Coast, Queensland in 1990, Dorothy held the office of Director of Music in leading educational institutions in Sydney and London. Dorothy established the Queensland Academy of Music, a private music centre, in 1991.
The Academy focuses on the development of gifted and talented students, many of whom have gained admission to studies at some of the world’s most prestigious Schools of Music and Universities. Dorothy still enjoys teaching piano, singing, theory and composition at all levels, offering Gold Coast music lessons in Sorrento, and she continues to mentor other musicians.
Dorothy has always been involved in community-based music activities and in addition to music, loves fine arts, travelling and reading.
Gold Coast Music Classes for Adults & Children
Dorothy is available for Gold Coast music classes for children and adults. For more information on classes, call Dorothy on 0419 667 855.
- Fellowship in Piano Performance from Trinity College, London
- Masters degree in Musicology including Ethnomusicology, University of NSW
- Bachelors degree in Music Education, University of Newcastle
(B .Mus. Ed.)
- Diploma of Specialist Music Education, Newcastle Conservatorium of Music
- Honorary Foundation Fellowship of the Collegiate of Specialist Music Educators
- Associate of Music of Australia
(A. Mus. A.)
- Local and international examiner
Australian New Zealand Cultural Arts (ANZCA). 1997 – present
- Founding Director
Queensland Academy of Music, Gold Coast, Australia. 1991
- Board Director
Friends of The Arts Centre, Gold Coast, Australia. 2009 – 2017
- Founding Director
Key Academy of Music, Sydney, Australia. 1981
- The Romper Room Song Book – Ellsyd Publishing Sydney
- Let’s Celebrate Music: Australian Songs to Sing and Play – Dominies Educational Supplies
- Let’s Celebrate Music – Christmas Songs to Sing and Play – Dominies Educational Supplies
- Piano pedagogy with a student who is blind: An Australian case. International Journal of Music Education. Research and Practice. ISME Volume 30, Number 4, November 2012. Power/McCormack